AARP Bulletin Feature: “10 Facts You Need to Know about Hospice”
The AARP Bulletin published a feature story by Paula Spencer Scott entitled “10 Facts You Need to Know about Hospice.” The article shows the benefits of hospice care for anyone who has been diagnosed by their doctor as having six months or fewer to live, and the support available to their caregivers and family members.
Spencer Scott thoughtfully shows the misconceptions about hospice care, such as:
- One-third of all hospice users enroll in hospice for less than one week
- Hospice is care in one’s own residence
- Patients can opt out of hospice at any time
- Patients can continue to see their regular doctor (PCP)
- Hospice is for the entire family
- Grief support is available for family members for up to one year following the death of a patient in hospice
You can read the entire story from AARP’s website by clicking here.